The Wing Bar (Deodorant)
Sold Out! More on the way!
Been down the Personal Care aisle lately? It looks like there are miles of plastic on the shelves peering out at you. The deodorant aisle is formidable with all that plastic protection around the solid in the middle to be pushed out a wee bit at a time so that you don't have to touch it. (Well, you shouldn't touch it if you knew about all the ingredients they put in that plastic container so you can smell nifty and be stink-free for "24-hours" at a stretch. They lie just a little...What they don't tell you is that antiperspirants are made with aluminum and all kinds of preservatives and chemicals that are not meant for your skin, especially somewhere as sensitive as the underarm.)
Here at Do Good Soaps and Suds, we make our Wing Bar out of all-natural ingredients--essential oils, coconut oil, beeswax, cornstarch and baking soda. Our deodorant bar IS NOT an antiperspirant. (Antiperspirants have dangerous amounts of aluminum in them and have been connected with all kinds of harmful and chronic conditions, like dementia and Alzheimers.)
Let us give it to you straight--people sweat--even your lover, your best friend and your grandma (but probably not as much...) Oh, and YOU! But it's not all bad. We are built that way to keep us cool and our temperatures "just so". And that hair that grows in the armpit--a pure godsend. It whisks the moisture away from the skin so that the skin can dry.
So not to belabor the point, but your body does a great job at regulating itself. You only need a deodorant so that you can feel confident and good as the social creature you (and I) are. And that plastic packaging? That is something else that you and I just don't need. Neither do those turtles swimming in the ocean...
If you've never used a plain deodorant before, here are some things to know...
1. You have to apply it a couple of times each day.
2. If you're a big-time sweat producer, toss a little bit of cornstarch under the arm like you would if you used baby powder. It helps keep you drier. (Even though we use cornstarch in our deodorant bar, it's useful to add more to the underarm.)
3. Always test any underarm application to see if it will stain fabrics. Any underarm application, mixed with perspiration will naturally soil fabrics to some degree, but just be careful.
4. The deodorant comes with a little wrapper. Don't throw it away. Instead use it as a means to apply the bar to the underarm without a whole lot of mess!
5. Because these are made with coconut oil and other essential oils, you'll need to keep this little gem in a tin (like an Altoid box) or on a dish/soap dish of some kind. (We keep ours wrapped in the wrapper and occasionally put it in the refrigerator for a few minutes...just to make sure. Oils melt--that's why it feels so good when you put it under your arm!
- Coconut Oil
- Baking Soda
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Geranium Essential Oil
- Frankincense Essential Oil
- Bergamot Essential Oil
- Sage Essential Oil
Currently, the Wing Bar is sold without a carrying case. More tin cases will be forthcoming. (Until they do, try re-purposing an old Altoids tin!) Recently, our customers requested that we make the deodorant bar without ANY packaging, so we have stopped wrapping the bars in burlap and string. Only recycled parchment paper is used.
Swedish Dish Cloths
These Swedish dish cloths made by Cose Nuove and designed by Mark Bretheim are our favorite dish cloths for the kitchen...really any job that requires scrubbing. These super durable cloths...
The Clean Plate Club Dish Soap (Lavender)
With this fabulous dish soap bar, you can get rid of that liquid dish soap under the sink or on the counter! This dish bar lasts, and of course, there is...
The Soap Box - Kitchen Edition
Stand up. Speak out. Make your purchases count. The Soap Box is your way to give to nonprofit organizations who are on the ground working for environmental and climate justice....